Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Mussel Day

IMG_1319[1]

It’s been long that I’ve not bought mussels.  Often when I see in market (not regularly) it not good, its dead and mostly shells are already open.  As I’ve been wanting since last year to prepare baked mussels.

I was so fortunate this time when I went to wet market today!  His mussels were all good, so I bought one kilo at $3.50! Yehey!!

I’m still in the process of cleaning the mussels. How to clean the mussels?
  1. Check your mussels one by one, discard mussels that are open and shells that are broken. 
  2. Place in a bowl and wash mussels several times.  After washing several times and still you see that water still dirty, its okay. 
  3. Cover with water and place in fridge to soak for several hours.  Please change water at least every hour. 
  4. When your ready to cook the mussel, wash the mussels again and pull the beards and clean the shells with knife or kitchen scissors.  Check again for open shells if any then discard. 
  5. Then its ready to cook.
In a little while, I will be making baked mussels for our dinner! Happiness!

P.S. I just noticed from the photo that one shell's open.  Actually, that one is not dead, after a while it did closed :) 

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hai mommeh, alam mo ba na fave ko ang tahong? haha hope to taste your baked tahong someday. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tita karrie! yep i remember nga. yun din ata ang last na luto ko ng tahong hehe. Don't worry, we left mussels for you so please hurry!! hihi

    ReplyDelete