Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Stewed Pork and Pumpkin

This recipe was inspired from My Recipes, Stewed Pork and Squash.  I altered and modified the ingredients.  The main ingredients like the part of the pork and the veggie, were not available at the time I bought them.  Moreover, I did not include the chili powder cos I have a child who don't like strong spices yet.  What's more, I replaced the ground red pepper to just ordinary crushed black pepper.  On top of that, I used chicken cube instead of a broth.  


Here's my version - 

Ingredients: 

1 tablespoon canola oil 
1 medium red onion, chopped 
1 teaspoon of garlic, minced 
at least 1/2 kg pork, twee bak, sliced at least 1/2 inch
1 teaspoon of ground cumin 
1/4 teaspoon of crushed black pepper
1 (15-ounce) can Hunts stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2 cups of water
1 Knorr chicken cube
less than a pound pumpkin, cut into cubes 
fish sauce or salt to taste 

Preparation:

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.  Add onion and garlic, saute until onions are soft, stirring frequently.  Add crushed black pepper, stir.  Add pork.  Stir and cook for few minutes until pork change color, not raw.  Stir in stewed tomatoes, add water and chicken cube.  Bring to a simmer.  Cover in low heat and simmer until the pork is tender, stirring occasionally.  Add the pumpkin then simmer until the vegetable are soft.  Add fish sauce to taste.  Good for 4 pax. 



The dish was great.  It was flavorful even without the other spices.  I believed if I did not modify the ingredients, the dish will be more savory.  By the way, I find the recipe in the budget meal category.  

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment