Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Ube Halaya

Finally, I found purple yam or purple sweet potato (not actually sweet) in grocery store.  As far as I know, there are only few who sells purple yam in Singapore, as one of the locals have told me that only few people in Singapore buy purple yam.  Been longing for this dessert, my old time favorite.  I love the ube jam from Baguio.  So here’s my version of Ube Halaya. 

IMG_1642

IMG_1645
You need:
  • 1 kg purple sweet potato / purple yum
  • 14 oz / 1 can condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
Procedure:
  1. Boil purple yam until cooked. Drain from water.
  2. Peel and mashed with fork.
  3. In low heat, melt butter in non stick cooking pot.  Add condensed milk and stir to combine.
  4. Add the mashed purple yam then continue stirring until the mixture becomes very thick for about 10 minutes or so.
  5. Transfer mixture into a mold or container and let cool.
  6. Refrigerate for at least an hour, then serve.
IMG_1659

IMG_1666

Result: To be honest, the texture was quite dry.  But the taste was yummy, even the sweetness was fine.  Next time, should I cut down the purple yum a bit? Hmm if I cut down, for sure it will be more sweet and I don't like that to happen.  Any suggestion?  Ha, I will google for other recipe.  Well, will keep you posted when I make another one :)
  
14 Sep 2010 Update:  Pls visit My Improved Ube Halaya recipe :) 

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hi may i know where you buy the purple yam? ;].

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I buy it from Cold Storage.

    btw, here's my improved ube halaya :)
    http://www.momsmetime.com/2010/09/my-improved-ube-halaya.html

    ReplyDelete