Saturday, June 26, 2010

Bitter Stew: Pinapaitan

Our meal for today is a Filipino recipe called Pinapaitan, an ilocano dish - slightly bitter with strong citrus notes, ingredients are tasty and extraordinary.  My recipe was inspired by Mama Sita's Bitter Stew Mix and Lutong Pinoy.

This is my old time favorite meal, my dad like to cook this when we were young.  My dad was the best cook!  Unfortunately, I didn't remember how he cook this kind of stew.  Few days ago, when I was in Filipino store, I was surprised to see the Mama Sita's Pinapaitan mix.  At last! I can try it at home.  Thank you Mama Sita!  :)


My version:
Part 1
  • 1 kg of beef
  • pepper corn 
  • garlic
  • onion 
  • water
  • fish sauce
  • beef cube, optional
  1. In cooking pot or pressure cooker, put all the above ingredients.  Bring to boil and remove scum.  Replace the cover of the pressure cooker.  Cook til tender.   
  2. Drain meat and slice beef to serving pieces, set aside. Also set aside beef broth. 
Part 2
  • 2 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 pack Mama Sita's Pinapaitan Mix
  • cooking oil 
  • garlic, minced
  • ginger, sliced
  • onion, sliced 
  • cooked beef, sliced to serving pieces
  1. Combine the beef broth and pack of Mama Sita mix in a bowl, set aside.
  2. Saute garlic, ginger and onion in cooking oil.  
  3. Add the beef, stir. 
  4. Add beef broth with Mama Sita mix.  Bring to boil.
  5. Add green chili, simmer.   
  6. Try adding a bit of water and vinegar.
  7. Season to taste. 
Smells good and so tasty! 

I don't have to go to Lucky Plaza to eat Pinapaitan :D

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment